This ice cream I made is compatible with all phases of my elimination diet! Of course, feel free to mix it up as your diet allows. Add chocolate chips or nuts. Add a teaspoon of vanilla extract. Take out the mint leaves and make a new flavor, such as with berries. Heck, make it with real milk. Do what you want. My goal here was to find a way to make ice cream that was vegan, refined sugar, and alcohol (which means vanilla and mint extract) free and use up the mint leaves I had.
Tip: If your ice cream maker bowl is not in the freezer, put it in there. They can take up to a day to freeze fully, something Will and I did not realize until we started making the ice cream.
1 cup fresh mint leaves
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup water
1 14 oz can full fat coconut milk
1/4 cup (or more!) packed raw baby spinach leaves – this adds color and nutrition with no change in taste
pinch of salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
berries or chopped fruit
- Freeze the ice cream maker bowl, if not already frozen. Can take 6-24 hours.
- Combine mint, honey, and water in a saucepan. Mix well and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer for 10 minutes, then let steep for 15.
- Pour mixture and remaining ingredients (plus vanilla if you are using it) into a blender and liquify until, well, it is a very
well combined liquid. At this point, I did not think the ice cream smelled appetizing at all. Still turned out, though!
- If desired, strain the mixture into a container that is easily poured from (you want to strain it now, as it will thicken in the refrigerator). I did not strain my and it still turned out fine.
- Refrigerate for at least one hour, up to 3 days.
- When mixture is cooled and you are ready to make ice cream, pour it into your ice cream maker and follow the manufacturer instructions OR if you do not have an ice cream maker, here are instructions for doing it by hand
(start at number 2). At this point I had misplaced my camera.
- If you would like to add the optional ingredients, do so about 5 minutes before your ice cream is done, according to the directions for your specific machine.
- Store in an air tight container in the freezer. Enjoy!